Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fifth Sunday of Lent (C)

Go and Sin No More 
Isaiah 43: 16-2; Philippians 3: 8-14; John 8: 1-1

The usual name for the story we have just heard is “The Woman Caught in Adultery” or “The Adulterous Woman.” It is certainly understandable why it would be called this; after all, she is a major player in the story.

Yet, while she is A major player in the story, she is not THE major player in the story. Jesus is THE central player of this story, for, without him, the story would have simply been a story of a stoning.

Ultimately, it’s about Jesus, who seeks reconciliation . . .
- not judgment,
- not punishment,
- not condemnation,
- not even-ing the score,
- but one thing, and one thing only: reconciliation.

And what exactly is reconciliation? Reconciliation is where forgiveness and sorrow meet. It’s easy to confuse reconciliation with forgiveness. Forgiveness is an intrinsic part of reconciliation, but it’s not all there is to it. Reconciliation also involves true sorrow – true contrition, which is not just an emotion, but also a resolution to not offend again - never!

Reconciliation can only occur when two parties come together in self-giving . . .
- the self-giving of love outpoured in forgiving
- the self-giving of humility outpoured in apology
- and the resolution not to hurt again.

This is very important. It’s easy for us to see in today’s gospel that Jesus forgives this woman at the hands of death; and it can be easy for us to know that he forgives us the same. The danger is overlooking that what Jesus is seeking to accomplish is not just that woman know she is forgiven, but rather, that she be reconciled with God. And that reconciliation can only occur when she chooses “to sin no more.”

You see, the forgiveness of God is, in itself, not the whole story of our salvation. Because we have been made as persons with the freedom to choose, to act, God does not foist his mercy on us - God offers it to us so that we may freely respond. Yet, freedom always has consequences. And the consequence of opting out of reconciliation with God is that life here and now can continue as it has been . . .
- no interruptions in the flow of life,
- no transformation of attitudes,
- no conversion of behaviors,
- no struggles with what is good or what is evil.

Of course, the other consequences are . . .
- no growth as a human person,
- no assuming of the dignity of a child of God,
- no citizenship in heaven,
- no eternal life.

The consequence of embracing God’s forgiveness through sorrow and conversion brings with it the struggle with good and evil, the exertion to transform behaviors, and the endeavor to convert attitudes to those of Christ’s own attitudes. This is not an option for the faint of heart, but it is a choice that carries with it the realization of our human dignity as we live more fully in the image of God, the growth into full stature in Christ, and the eternal life in the presence of our Messiah, who will embrace us, saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant; come, share your Master’s joy.”

Recently, a good friend sent me this poem by Maya Angelou.  It's called "I'm A Christian" and I think it fits very well with the theme of today's gospel:

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin."
I'm whispering "I was lost,"
Now I'm found and forgiven.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
and need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain,
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
who received God's good grace, somehow.

We're nearing the end of our Lenten journey. Yet, there's still time of us, two more weeks, to examine our Lenten practices (or lack thereof). Has this journey been one of moving towards reconciliation or has it been one of just doing or not doing certain things for forty days? Has this journey been oriented towards some sort of permanent change for the better in my life, or has it been one of whiling away the time until Easter?

For most of us, we have been on this journey with its ups and downs. Once again, God offers us forgiveness; and once again, the choice is ours. All we have to do is accept that forgiveness and all it entails, and eternal life is ours. That’s what today’s passage from Scripture is all about. And, if you think about it, it’s what the reality that we will be celebrating in two weeks is all about, as well.