Sunday, June 11, 2017

A Remembrance

Theresa Olsen
November 14, 1925 - June 11, 1998
Nineteen years.
You would think after all this time it would be easier.
You would think after all these years I would miss her less.
But it doesn't.
And I don't.

When you're young you can't wait to be independent . . . 
To show the world you don't need anyone . . . 
That you can make it on your own.
But you're not.
And you do.
And you can't.

My generation didn't have mobile phones
to take snapshots of every moment of life. 
But snapshots fade or get deleted
I have MURALS . . . 
CANVASES . . . 
WORKS OF ART, 
In my mind 
And in my heart,
That are there forever - 
Unfading 
Permanent.

I wish I could show them to you!
I wish you could see
All the joy, 
Some of the pain
That tells me to this day 
That I was loved -
Totally . . . 
Unreservedly . . . 
Unconditionally.

Nineteen years.
You would think after all this time it would be easier.
You would think after all these years I would miss her less.
But it doesn't.
And I don't.
And although the male ego is loath to admit it,
An adult is a nothing but a graying balding boy - 
A boy who still 
Misses
Loves
Needs
His Mom.

For those of you who are still fortunate enough
to have your Mom no further than a phone call away,
Don't put it off!
Call her RIGHT NOW!
Tell her that you love her!
Because someday you won't be able to.
Someday all you will have . . . 
(Hopefully you will have)
Murals
Canvases
Works of art
of all the joy,
some of the pain
That warm the heart
But ultimately never satisfy.
Deacon Bruce Olsen
June 11, 2017