Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter Sunday (Year A)

MY EASTER PRAYER 
Easter Sunday of the Lord’s Resurrection (Year A) 
Acts 10: 34A, 37-43; Colossians 3: 1-4; Matthew 28: 1-10 

Be not afraid . . . Lord, that is the first message that your angel proclaimed to Mary when she was asked to be the mother of your Son. And it is the first message that your angel proclaimed to the women at your empty tomb on the morning of your Resurrection . . . 

Be not afraid . . . 

Are those words also meant for me on this Easter morning? Because, Lord, I AM AFRAID! And sometimes, Lord, I'm not even sure I know what I fear but I know when I'm afraid because I know how fear feels - and I know when I feel it . . . 

And you tell me, Be not afraid . . . 

Sometimes I'm afraid of things in my past, things that don't even exist anymore: the ghosts of things long gone . . . 

And you tell me, Be not afraid . . . 

And sometimes I'm afraid of what doesn't yet exist: I fear what's next, or what might be, or what could be . . . 

And you tell me, Be not afraid . . . 

Sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of people . . . people who are strangers . . . people who I know wield power over me . . . people who have it in for me . . . even people who love and care for me – fear that they just don't "get me" . . . fear that I will disappoint them . . . fear that they will disappoint me . . . fear of losing their love . . . 

And you tell me, Be not afraid . . . 

Sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of myself, of who I am and what I've done or what I might do or fail to do . . . 

And you tell me, Be not afraid . . . 

Sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of you. Sometimes I'm afraid of what you know about me, what you think about me, what you ask of me, what you expect of me. And sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid that you don't hear me or see me or love me . . . 

And you tell me, Be not afraid . . . 

And now, Lord, I’m afraid. I’m afraid to leave my home. I’m afraid of living life in the way that I always have. I’m afraid of social contact that is too close. I’m afraid of germs and illness and death. I’m afraid so, I hide behind masks and gloves and locked doors. And perhaps most of all, Lord, I’m afraid of the future. I’m afraid because I can’t see it. I'm afraid that I have lost control of it. I’m afraid to make plans that might ultimately need to be cancelled in the uncertain future. I’m afraid because I can’t see when this pandemic will end. I’m afraid that this new way of life might never end and that it is the new normal. What will it take, Lord, what must I do, to step out of my fear, beyond my fear, to trust in you, to walk with you with confidence that you are my strength, my safety and my shield? 

And you tell me again and again: Fear not . . . have no fear . . . be not afraid . . . 

Lord, on this Easter Sunday, do not let my fear blind me to the truth that is revealed in faith. You are RISEN! You are RISEN INDEED! O Risen Lord . . .
  • Do not let my fear take away my joy – YOU LIVE! 
  • Do not let my fear take away my hope – DEATH, DEPRESSION, DEFEAT, DISAPPOINTMENT ARE NOT THE END OF THE STORY, AS THE CROSS WAS NOT THE END OF YOURS! 
  • Do not let my fear paralyze me – LET ME RUN AND AWAIT YOU IN WHEREVER GALILEE IS IN MY LIFE WHERE YOU WILL TURN MY FEAR TO CONFIDENCE; MY HOPELESSNESS TO TRUST, MY GRIEF TO JOY; MY CONFUSION TO UNDERSTANDING, MY DEPRESSION TO SERENITY, MY LOSS TO FULFILLMENT AND MY DEFEAT TO VICTORY! 
You tell me again, Lord: Be not afraid . . . 

Take me by the hand, Lord, put your hand on my shoulder: guide, lead and push me where I need to go and let me know you're by my side, that I am never alone. Encourage me to trust you, to believe that you are with me always; to see that you are greater than anything I fear, than anyone I fear; that in your company, I have nothing to fear and I need not be afraid. 

Lord, on this Easter day when the seemingly impossible happened and death gave way to life, and darkness gave way to light, and fear gave way to hope nudge me just a step beyond my doubts and fears to a point where I can look back and see: that much of what I'd feared had no real power over me; that much of what I feared I'd meet was really nothing to fear after all; that in taking that one small step I found that you are at my side, that you are my strength, my safety, my shield; that you are with me and I am not alone . . . 

You tell me again, Lord: Be not afraid . . . 

And I need to hear your words, again and again, until my faith is stronger than my doubt, my trust is stronger than my worries and my joy greater than my fear . . . Help me believe, Lord, that with your help I can walk out of my fear, beyond my fear, to joy. Fill my heart with your presence and be with me everywhere I go, every step of the way . . . 

And tell me again, Lord: Be not afraid . . .