Sunday, December 17, 2023

My Prayer of Contrition & Resolve

My Prayer of Contrition and Resolve 

by Deacon Bruce Olsen

O my God,
I kneel before You in humility seeking Your 
abundant, abiding and absolute 
love, mercy, goodness and strength, 
acknowledging that I am powerless without Your help.

You know all things, 
and You do not just see my actions and hear my words, 
but You listen to the sincerity of a contrite heart. 
Sinner though I am, I desire to be
 holy, righteous, virtuous, pure and chaste.

Although I have sinned so miserably, and offended all that is 
loving, good, true, holy, noble and beautiful in your Divine Self, 
I seek Your strength to avoid sin and all 
the deceit, false promises and allure of Satan, 
to become the man, 
the deacon, 
You created me to be - 
perfect as you are perfect - 
a reflection of Your divine image.

Do not just hear my words, O Lord, 
but recognize the sincerity and resolve of my heart and soul 
to always hunger and thirst for righteousness, 
until, by your grace, 
I, indeed, become righteous. 
I pledge to you to live a life of virtue.

Through the intercession of the Most Chaste Heart of St. Joseph, 
may my thoughts, my desires, my words and every movement of my body and soul, 
reflect his purity, his goodness, his love for You and his total dedication to Your holy will.

Through his protection, may I avoid all sins
 and especially those that would violate chastity. 
May my imitation of him be so complete, 
that I reflect holy Joseph to the extent that 
I, like your Son, Jesus, 
may be known as the Carpenter’s Son.

May this prayer of contrition and resolve rise up to you, O Lord, like burning incense. 
May its sweet aroma please you. 
May I be forgiven of my past sins 
and receive the grace and strength I seek
 to be sinless for the rest of my days in this earthly life,
 so that I may enjoy all the days of eternal life with you in heaven.

Amen.